High Performance Culture Fundamentals
In today’s super‐competitive and fast‐paced business environment, every organization, and each team, must co-create a high performance culture wherein people are motivated and inspired to perform at higher levels in order to match the demands of opportunity and scale to achieve lasting success.
A High Performance Culture reinforces the Vision and core set of Values of the organization by providing a strategic alignment. Alignment leads to improved performance, as well as increased productivity and bottom‐line results. High Performance Cultures within successful organizations consistently demonstrate the following core competencies:
LEADERSHIP mobilizes energy and drives the pursuit of greatness
COACHING improves individual performance and achievement
TEAMWORK intensifies the power of collective action and reflects synergy
OPEN COMMUNICATION revitalizes and re-energizes the team
TRUST draws people together
These 5 core competencies map the journey to building a High Performance Culture, and the emergence of some key attributes will signal the organization/team’s arrival at its destination:
- High aspirations and a desire to win: For employees in high performance cultures, good is never good enough. They are always pushing to go farther, do better, faster. It’s not just about short‐term success; it’s about building something truly special and long-lasting.
- External focus: Organizations with high performance team cultures focus their energies externally on delighting customers, outshining the competition, and caring for communities.
- A “think like owners” attitude: A hallmark of a high performance culture is that employees take personal responsibility for the overall performance of the organization. They endeavor to always do the right thing.
- Bias for action: High performance cultures are impatient. They are doers, not talkers, keeping an eye on where value resides to ensure their actions will positively impact performance and organizational success.
- Individuals who Team: High performance cultures encourage individuals to be themselves and support them in reaching their full potential. These cultures also recognize the importance of teamwork and are open to ideas and alternative viewpoints, collaborating seamlessly on challenging issues.
- Passion and energy: Everyone in a high performance culture gives 100%, striving to go beyond adequate to exceptional in the areas that really matter while bringing an infectious enthusiasm to everything they do.
Building a High Performance Culture through a shared Vision and core set of Values provides employees at all levels in the organization with the knowledge, skills and tools to access the current culture, identify areas for improvement, and actively participate in creating a culture that promotes and advances the individual, team and organization in performing at a high level.